Artificial Intelligence refers to computational tools that are able to substitute for human intelligence in the performance of certain tasks. The term may also be applied to any machine that exhibits traits associated with a human mind such as learning and problem-solving.
When most people hear the term artificial intelligence, the first thing they usually think of is robots. Artificial intelligence is based on the principle that human intelligence can be defined in a way that a machine can easily mimic it and execute tasks, from the simplest ones to even more complex. The goals of artificial intelligence include learning, reasoning, and perception. Artificial intelligence is not a system, but it is implemented in the system.
In this article, we will cover incredible AI facts that might surprise you and could help you appreciate more of this phenomenal technological advancement.
TERMS USED INTERCHANGEABLY WITH AI
Before we get to the facts, let’s understand first the meaning and differences of the terms used interchangeably with Artificial Intelligence like machine learning (ML) and deep learning (DL).
ML is a learning technique where machines can learn from huge data sets. It is used within algorithms; it is simply a time-saving way to achieve AI.
Deep learning is one of many approaches to machine learning research. It works similarly to the human brain — Artificial Neural Networks (ANN’s).
ANN’s are divided into layers, where each layer learns to perform different tasks from sound, images, or text. For example, one of the applications of speech embedding is voice biometrics. It can be used to capture voice print.
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT AI
1. AI can transform the productivity and GDP potential of the global economy. The greatest economic gains from AI will be in China (26% boost to GDP in 2030) and North America (14.5% boost), equivalent to a total of $10.7 trillion and accounting for almost 70% of the global economic impact.
2. January 2018, Google CEO Sundar Pichai claimed that artificial intelligence (AI) will be more transformative to humanity than electricity.
3. A scary statistic from the AI index found that men are continuing to dominate the AI applicant pool, as much as 71 percent on average.
4. Global revenues from Artificial Intelligence for enterprise applications is projected to grow from $1.62B in 2018 to $31.2B in 2025.
5. 87% of current Artificial Intelligence adopters said they were using or considering using AI for sales forecasting and for improving e-mail marketing.
6. A self-learning supercomputer named Nautilus can predict the future, and it became famous when it was able to locate Osama Bin Laden.
7. In 2017 VC investors funded more than $10.8 billion in startup companies that focus on AI and machine learning.
8. ‘’Chinese tech manufacturer Huawei announced plans to develop its own AI processing chips, reducing the need for the country’s booming AI industry to rely on US manufacturers like Intel and Nvidia.’
9. Microsoft is infusing AI into everything they deliver across computing platforms and experiences.
10. 51% of small business owners think that AI is important when it comes to investing in new technologies.
11. The Artificial Intelligence of Google is much smarter than Siri’s, according to three Chinese researchers.
12. When you interact with AI as a default voice it is mostly a female as studies have shown that both women and men prefer the sound of a female voice.
13. Dr. Jean-Loup Rault says that there will be robot pets with whom people could make an emotional connection by 2025.
14. Google launched an AI system, which beat some of the best Atari 2600 game players.
15. ‘’Google, has announced that it had created a microchip called a Tensor Processing Unit, which it claimed was up to 30 times faster and 80 times more power-efficient than an Intel processor for machine learning tasks.’’
16. 80% of Artificial Intelligence professors are male.
17. In 2018 a machine of Microsoft translation system achieved human-level quality and accuracy when translating news from Chinese to English.
18. The best five countries for an AI job are — China, USA, Japan, UK, and India.
19. By 2025, AI is expected to become a $60 billion dollar industry.
20. Voice search is going to make SEO more complicated as users will get only one result from one data source.
21. ‘’According to artificial intelligence expert Dr. David Levy, in a few generations, we won’t just be having sex with robots, we’ll be marrying them. He has predicted that human-robot marriages would be legal by the year 2050.’
22. Nowadays, a robot can heal itself. ‘’Once a soft robot is damaged, the material is able to heal after being heated for 40 minutes at 80°C.‘’
23. ‘’Facebook’s AI team is hard at work developing something called “deep learning,” artificial intelligence that processes data much like a human brain would, using simulations of networks and brain cells.’’
24. Google has a Quantum AI Lab where, unlike other companies, they actually own a quantum computer.
25. Deep Blue was the first AI robot, made in 1996. It was a chess-playing computer which won its first game against a World Champion on 10 February 1996.
26. Experts believe that AI will take over 16% of current jobs within the next 10 years, but worry not, a new era of job opportunities will arise.
27. During the quarter of 2017, huge tech companies bought 34 AI startups.
28. In the medical world, the TUG robot can carry nearly 1000 lbs. of medication to any location in a hospital. Because of this innovation, doctors are able to spend more time with patients.
29. AI is capable of making diagnoses just as accurately as world-leading experts in the medical field.
30. Big data and machine learning can devise and trial new drugs much faster.
31. An algorithm dubbed a “robot doctor” was able to outperform 96% of those in a Chinese medical exam.
32. By 2025 it is expected that 10% of spending in IT will be spent on AI-related activities. We’re one step closer to AI-empowered businesses.
Artificial Intelligence’s concept has been around since the 1940s, even the term ‘’artificial intelligence’’ was coined only in 1956 by John McCarthy. AI didn’t begin to take off until the 1980s, when expert systems were widespread.
We have reached an astonishing point in human history where AI has gained a nearly ubiquitous presence in our daily living yet we have only scratched the surface.
Artificial Intelligence is expected to surpass human level intelligence at the fullest level by the year 2045. At that time, AI will automate some industries but at that point as well, AI will generate around 2 million new job opportunities.